Friday, April 4, 2008

Just Do It. Core Truths

How Do We Get Back To Core Beliefs
JUST DO IT

Going along with my previous post “fighting fire with fire”, I want to lay out some of my thoughts about how do we as conservatives keep our core beliefs. As Gandhi might say our truths. To put this into perspective, one of the conservative leaders in the US House had this to say in Sept I believe 2007 Below is the link to you tube.
---------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-40mDt_-D0
----------------------------------------
Congressman Hoekstra is talking about the lengths that the republican party has fallen away from the conservative principles (Truths) that brought the House back to Republicans and then gives us some clues why we recently let it fall back into liberal hands.
<<
I for one wish him luck.
<<
But it isn’t going to happen without the people at the grassroots level who will have to make a mighty clamor and ruckus. As Pete talked about at the national level he has to find “troublesome young men” in the House, we to have to be troublesome in order for things to start to change. (Well troublesome is getting closer to “Living Dangerously”)
<<
I liked how he admitted that the republicans in general had let the people down who put them into office, by not following through with the contract with America. That they feel let down now because the Congressional Republicans are not fighting for change but seemingly compromising their way out of work and our country out of hope. They seem to be doing all the bad things that the liberals were doing. In movies when the bad guy is asked why he did such terrible things the punch line usually reads “because I could” and that seems to be the justification for doing evil things all too often. It happens when people quit believing in their accepted truths. To change this behavior, a strong ground swell from troubled people at the grass roots will be needed to get the momentum of the left stopped and moving our way again.
<
Sometimes I feel really small and not up to the task. But all that is only fear and if I hark back to Gandhi I will fear only God. The strength of the Truths will guide me.
<
What are those truths? The “self evident” ones are obvious and most people know because they are in the Declaration of Independence.
<
“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, “
<
Gee couldn’t of said it better myself. Lists the rights of man and says why Government exists.
Now I see that there is talk of A Creator. So I think that it follows that If I used the 10 Commandments as the basis for law I would be on safe ground. My truths that I follow first have to be grounded in the 10 Commandments. So there is my recipe for how I should face and react to the world. Simple huh? Well maybe simply said, but it is impossible in the doing. In politics, I say the less government, the easier it is for people to keep their “self-evident” rights to life and freedom and the better able they are to pursue their happiness. Government needs only to be large enough to secure our lives (Life) freedom (Liberty) and our ability to try to be happy (Pursuit of Happiness). The Declaration says that the purpose of Government is to secure those rights. Basically I believe that the government’s job is to make enforceable laws to secure those rights for it’s citizens. ME. I think the 10 Commandments has served in our past as a guide for our laws and I see no reason to change that. As far as the Bill of Rights and the newer Amendments in the Constitution, they are there and need to be followed. Link to first 10 below. (Look around the site and you’ll see a button to click on to bring up the amendments.
---------------
http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/rights1.htm
---------------
Well that’s step one. Naming what my core beliefs are. From that all else will flow I think. There are some sticky wickets but I’ll figure those out later. I must remember Covey’s mantra. Listen Learn Help and (then) Lead. I added the “then” as I’m only at the Listen and Learn stage.
Regards, Live Dangerously, be a Conservative.
PS. Barry Goldwater
“Never forget; There was only one freedom on which this country was founded, that was freedom from government.”
PPS Here is a link for something I just got in the email. The first half seems to be pretty much of what I just wrote. The second half especially about Global warming . Well try to listen if you can, I’m so against big government et al. that I find it hard to even say anything positive about Al Gore. I guess though I have to go back to Listen Learn and maybe I can help Al Gore out of his misery. Hey I’m not perfect yet either. I think I’ll see if I can pick up a copy of the environmental book on E Bay that Newt talked about. I need to get a good environmental alternative to Al Gore. Newt’s web site and his Solutions really make a lot of sense. I’ve learned a lot there.
--------------------------
http://video.newsmax.com/?assetId=V2064111&s=al&promo_code=4889-1
-------------------------
Regards, Still Living Dangerously as a Conservative.

No comments: