Thursday, June 5, 2008

Somewhere In Between

I have always had a libertarian streak. When I was researching I came across the following from Ron Paul about neo-cons.
-----link-----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4df1soW7Dho
---------------
I respect his strict constitutional views. So I’m perplexed by why he did not name Newt Gingrich as one of the neo-cons. Newt’s a favorite of mine so I realized that he should of made Ron’s list. I started to do some digging.

Googling Gingrich and Neo-cons there seemed an abundance of material out there to link Newt to the cause. I assume Ron Paul would consider Newt as a neo-con. I would agree. Perhaps you are getting to see the quandary I’m finding myself in. I like both these intelligent people. Ron Paul and his followers claim that neo-cons rule by fear. If there wasn’t anything to fear they would manufacture it. That is where the most radical of that persuasion come up with the conspiracy theories about 9/11, claiming the whole thing was staged by the neo-cons. I view that as just their way of manufacturing fear in their own way. Ron Paul I’m sure does not believe this, let me be clear on that.

Newt Gingrich for those that read my blog will know that I’ve been quite impressed with him since his GOPAC days. He seems to be the only one now who is working towards change in any type of systematic concrete way. His book Real Change lays out a workable blueprint to retake the government from big government hands. I admire his organizational and leadership skills. How he can set up the networks for political change almost single handedly. The scope of his online presence is astounding. Go to the link below to see the range of his talents.
-----link-----
http://newt.org/
---------------
The man is tireless and ever doing. He is a true genius at what he does. I believe he genuinely wants government to work. Be sure to see the bottom of his site for other sites. He has a you tube channel, the guy never runs out of energy.
I especially like to revisit this site to help me get fired up politically.
-----link-----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfvl6vWZ9FA&feature=user
---------------
The last three minutes are instructive.

I must at this point say that I’ve come up with my answer to my quandary. Perhaps not to yours. Just thinking quietly for a few minutes let me see the obvious. Ron Paul is of the philosophical end of my political spectrum. Newt is of the practical end. To keep those ideas separate I constantly go back to Thomas Sowell and his wonderful book. “A Conflict of Visions” which delineates the two opposing basic ideas of life that humans have. He further shows how those two opposing views find common ground and find ways to survive together to further their causes short of war when they can. The writing and acceptance of the Constitution he uses as a prime example. This is the seminal book in how I look at politics. I have to go back to it often to help me compromise my ideals with those having opposing ideals in order to get something done.

I think Ron Paul would not mind me stating that I am a free man and that pursuing that freedom will enhance the freedom of all. I will also take from him the desire to be more free from government. I do want government however, the amount is what is in question. If I act as a truly free person then I can keep government more as a slave to me than vice versa. Once that mental compromise is done with, I will learn from Newt how better to organize my efforts to create the outcomes I want.

The danger as always throughout history has been for people like myself to fall into the “cult of personality” trap. I and others leaning towards either end of the spectrum seem to be particularly good at that. That compromise Thomas Sowell describes in “A Conflict of Visions” helps me to get over my proclivity to invest perfection into someone so I don’t have to worry about it. I must do some of the work. I must also stay fluid in my pragmatism, while rigidly paying dues to my beliefs. I must firmly believe in something strongly enough to be willing to compromise in order to move my beliefs forward. I believe that to do other wise out of stubborn belief is to go against the very logic and reasoning of the Constitution.

As you probably well know the “devil is in the details”. I have decided that in order for me to advance what I feel is necessary, I must not only compromise but first and above all I must get involved. Let that involvement shape the compromise. This is why I have two blogs. This one is for my philosophical side, the other is for my practical, get involved side. The hard part is knowing that the two will never meet. Again Thomas Sowell’s book tells me that admitting that is what makes me a Conservative or as he calls it having a “Constrained Vision”. And as in my post about the Two Brooks, David and Arthur obliquely accept that axiom by pointing out that conservatives are happier by the acceptance, then going about doing what they can. While those having the “Unconstrained Vision” believing that perfection can be achieved can never be happy until that is achieved, whether that can happen or not it seems to be a long way off.
-----link-----
http://conservativeinmuskegon.blogspot.com/2008/05/two-brooks-emerging-river.html
--------------
I notice now that both sides “constrained” and “unconstrained” have the same basic choices as far as how they will try to change things. I compare them to the Jesus way, the way of ultimate love vs. the other I’ll call the tyrants way. Here I don’t necessarily mean by saying the Jesus way to imply the necessity of religion. Just as by saying tyrants I don’t mean specific ones. Both sides have plenty of each. The point I’m trying to make is that the common ground necessary in order for civilization to exist is found in these. The type of civilization formed is found in which of the two is favored.

Well now I feel I better get back to my other blog so I can practice what I preach to see if the proof in the pudding tastes good. Hopefully the next serving here will reflect subtle changes I’ve made in the recipe of my offering from the never ending assortment of spices found in real life.

Regards, Live Dangerously Be A Conservative

PSIn my quest today within the sphere of the web, I’ve come across someone, who I’m not sure how has affected me and what I blogged today. I’ve linked her under my “Old Standby Links” under Neo-neocon on my side bar. The name seems to me misleading. Give it a shot and judge for yourself. For those in Rio Linda, the link is below.
-----link-----
http://neoneocon.com/
--------------
It may be that I liked it because she likes baseball. lol

No comments: